Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Bitting Up The Horse

Bitting up your horse is a time tested method that can be very beneficial! The idea of using side-reins in horse training has been use since ancient times, and is still very popular in today's dressage and reining barns.

Here we have a picture of a 2yr old very green Quarter Horse filly. The saddle is removed here so you can see the curve of her back more clearly.


This isn't a new idea, and I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes! Notice the filly's back is concave as she moves freely around the round-pen, this is bad form for a lot of reasons (we wouldn't want to see this with a rider on her back). Because it creates a 'hollow' back beneath the rider and is not the horse's strongest position or the most comfortable for the rider! The rider is likely to bounce more when the horse's back is in this position, and that in turn is even harder on the horses back. This also does nothing to build up the horse's 'top-line' and muscles that help easy carrying the weight of a rider.


I apologize that the saddle is in the way of being able to clearly see her back, but I do not own a surcingle and my reins are not long enough to tie the way you would without a surcingle or saddle . . . This is the filly's first time 'bitted' up it is important not to tie the horse back too short, because it can scare them and they will either not want to move forward, only move backward, flip over . . etc. The reins are tied evenly back to the cinch only enough to barely tilt her nose backwards. Over time this position will be easier for her to carry (as she builds muscles). This sets the horse up for several things. She will learn to 'drive underneath herself', 'frame up' or 'round her top-line', and to be light in the mouth.

My personal preference is that the horse become proficient in being 'bitted up' at ALL gaits (though I work her mostly at the trot to help her build muscles). If I think a horse is athletic enough, and ready I will also ask them to roll back, and stop quickly while bitted up. Remember being bitted up can be scary for a horse that is not accustomed to it and baby steps should be used to achieve the ultimate collection. I will not bit a horse up 'all the way' (the horse should not ever go behind the vertical in my opinion while bitted up) until they have been working at it for several weeks slowly getting shorter and more proficient.
Please consider working with a professional before trying any of these methods at home if you do not feel comfortable doing this with your horse! I have taken many lessons on this technique, and always let somebody know when I plan to work with my horses in case I get hurt! 

Thank you all! I hope this was helpful :)


No comments: