Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Why Checking Tack Matters * Making a Safe Run*

I know that people preaching safety religiously is sometimes annoying, but lets get real. Being safe is for our own benefit and it doesn't take much to check our equipment every once in a while! Just recently a good friends of mine had an off-billet snap in half in the middle of what would've been a beautiful run. Long story short she fell off (she's okay) but was pretty banged up and sore. It could've been so much worse, but she was one of the lucky ones.


Above is a picture of her off-billet. This is the second time I've seen this happen with this kind of off-billet. The other time it happened to be a brand new off-billet and it broke as a Rodeo Queen was doing her run in at her home rodeo (you can imagine how embarrassing it would be to fall off in front of a big crowd at your own rodeo as the announcer is talking about how great you are).

Now I know it wasn't these girls fault that their billets broke as their horse was running at high-speed, and in the Queen's case the billet was brand new! Here's the scoop: Leather off-billets that are not stitched around the edges are NOT safe. I myself prefer synthetic off-billets; they may not have any 'give' to them, but you can make up for that with your cinch and latigo leathers. Leather off-billets can rip at the most inconvenient times, and leave you riding your saddle right OFF of your horse.



The only other LARGE tack malfunction I have experienced is having a rein snap breaking in the middle of a barrel run. Please please please check your rein snaps. If they seem old and brittle don't use them! However, that doesn't mean they couldn't snap anyways, and I now prefer to attach my racing reins directly to the bit. Luckily my horse is pretty well mannered and we finished the run with one rein (and one stirrup!) Which brings me to my next topic . . . Rubber bands


Rubber bands (thin ones) can be looped together to attach your boot to your stirrup. My original fear was that the rubber-band would not break if I fell off; which in turn would lead to me being dragged. The TRUTH is if you fall off the rubber-band will break (as long as you aren't using BIG thick ones). Better safe then sorry! If you are in the habit of losing your stirrups rubber bands may not be a bad idea! (Though some people just need to adjust their stirrups to the 'proper' length).


Lastly but not least, CHECK YOUR CINCH!!! Do not turn your poor horse into a peanut by making it so tight it cuts him in two, but please please please check your cinch and make sure it is snug!!!

There's always more to be said when it comes to horses, but hey this is a good start!!

No comments: